The State Archives of North Carolina microfilms minutes of governing boards of North Carolina’s counties and municipalities to help local governments with permanent preservation of these essential records. Once those records are filmed, we store the silver-halide originals in our security vault.
For new county and municipal clerks who are sending minutes for the first time, the following is a reference for you and your staff on how to send minutes:
1. Inform us if you want your original minute books filmed. Original minutes can only be transported by hand. Do not send originals in the mail, by state courier, or any commercial service. Call Kurt Brenneman, records management analyst for minutes, at 919-807-7357 to arrange transport. We have a policy that if you make one trip, we’ll make the other. In western North Carolina, contact Jason Woolf at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-296-7230, ext. 224. We can also pick up your minutes at our fall regional records workshops in Morganton, Elizabeth City, Asheville, Wilmington, Cary, and Mount Airy.
2. You can mail copies of your minutes to the following address:
Government Records Section
NC Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
4615 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4615
3. You may submit minutes in direct order or reverse date order, but be consistent. (Direct = January at the top of a stack, December at bottom; Reverse = December on top of a stack, January on bottom)
4. Call 919-807-7357 to see the last date that we have microfilmed.
5. Pack your shipments carefully to avoid bent and crumpled pages.
6. Identify your pages and volume or minute book numbers (if you use them). We occasionally receive cover letters that say “volume 12 and 13,” but cannot tell where it changes from one to the next.
7. Fill out the Certification of the Preparation of Records for Microfilming form per minute type (one for Board of Commissioners minutes, a different one for Planning Board, etc.). Please use exact first and last dates.
8. If you send index pages, send one set per shipment. If your index is cumulative, indicate that earlier versions may be discarded, or simply send the final set for a year or volume.
9. Remove all staples and paper clips. It is not necessary to separate meetings with clips or rubber bands, but it is okay to rubber band a volume, year, or other large chunk.
10. You may send double-sided copies.
11. Please do not use scratch or scrap paper. We have to film every page that has text on it, even if it looks like it is unrelated material or it has been marked through.
12. If you have legal- or ledger-sized books, send legal- or ledger-sized copies.
13. The fee schedule for microfilming services is here. The basic cost is $16.00 per 16mm reel of microfilm. A reel holds 2400 letter-size, 1600 legal-size, or 1350 ledger-size pages.
For more information on the preparation of minutes for imaging, visit here.
You are doing important work by keeping up with the microfilming of your minutes. We appreciate your efforts, and will do everything we can to help you in this task.